Sunday, July 17, 2011

Day 02- "Favorite Movies"

In all genres of entertainment, I tend to be all over the place. I do not consider myself to particularly love only one type of movie either. I have a few movies that do come to mind as my "absolute favs" but I really have lots of movies that I could list as my favorites. Who actually ever puts down a single favorite on any sort of list??? That's like admitting you have a favorite child in your family!!!

First ever favorite movie: "8 Seconds" became a favorite of mine in high school and I could watch it everyday! It is a tear jerker and literally gets me every time. I cry (lose my breath crying) in the same spot each time I watch it. It is based on the true story of Lane Frost (played by Luke Perry, aka Dylan York for all you 80's 90210 babies) and his rise to fame and eventual death in the bull riding business.

Oldie, but goodie favorite movie: "Steel Magnolias" because it is simply a classic fav. You could not put another cast together like the one in SM! It is the perfect story of southern, small town living at its finest. It provides comical relief with ol' Weezer and heavy moments with Shelby's (played by THE Julia Roberts) family as she survives growing up with an overbearing mother (Sally Field). She finds love, has the ultimate southern style wedding, and starts a family only for her medical condition to worsen. I think my first real emotions surrounding death came from this movie.

Best love story favorite movie: "Up Close and Personal" because it is the ultimate story of fighting against one's own feelings only to eventually let go and fall into the most natural partnership. Sally/Tally Atwater (played by Michelle Pfieffer) lies herself into a journalism career and is forced to work with the arrogant, but most irresistable Warren Justice (Robert Redford). The two become a television powerhouse couple and end up marrying, only for jobsite disaster to strike-not once but twice. One final story was a death wish for the couple, but it was what made them who they were as people who loved and fought for their careers.

*Sidenote--maybe I do have a theme going on here...love and death.

Favorite funny movie: "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation" because National Lampoon's movies are the greatest! Mix Chevy Chase and the year's most awaited holiday and you definitely have a win-win. I could not even begin to summarize the funnies in such a short post!

Favorite newer movie: "The Blind Side" because not only is it inspirational but it is the rags to riches story of a local, Memphis boy. There is the Ole Miss connection too which makes it more interesting to see my alma mater on the big screen. Michael Oher's story has not gone unnoticed and will always prove that no matter the circumstances in life, someone always has it worse but also that your bad can turn to good literally overnight. Count your blessings.

I could probably go on and on but those are my top 5 in the favorite movie category. Tomorrow is "Favorite TV Shows" and that will be an even longer post because I am a self-admitted tv junkie. If I were asked my number one favorite piece of technology, that would be easy...DVR.